Sunday, May 22, 2016

Chalkboard Paint

Chalkboard paint  has been around for a while but now it is popular. I got some for free at the Hazardous Waste re-use center (At your local household hazardous waste) and it took me a while to figure out what to do with it. It is water based so don't let it freeze; keep your latex paints inside even if you are lacking room.

The pony wall I put a bar top on between my kitchen and living room I thought needed to be darker. Chalkboard paint would be perfect! My entire house has wood paneling halfway up the walls so this pony wall was all wood. I sanded it with 150 grit and then cleaned the dust I just made off it with a wet cloth.

I made a quick chalk holder with some scrap wood and screws and screwed that on the wall.

Then I taped some paper to the floor since I am a bit messy with paint. I used a nylon brush for the cracks between the paneling and then a paint roller over all of it. It took two coats for full coverage.
I let it dry overnight and then slid chalk sideways over all of it and wiped it off to prepare the surface.

Now it is our grocery/to-do list. I just take a picture of it with my phone before shopping instead of using up paper.

If you are excited about this then you should be more excited to know that there is also whiteboard paint, magnetic paint, and glow in the dark paint for you creative people. Eventually I am going to try the glow in dark to remind of the stars I used to have on my ceiling as a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always happy to hear from my readers!