Monday, September 26, 2016

Wood signs

I didn't take a lot of pictures for this project because there is not much to it. You do need a router and a bit to do this. It could be a core box bit, v groove bit or straight bit. The core box and v groove gives it an extra dimension. Now I did one sign with a ruler and pencil measuring the top bottom and middle of the letters and giving each letter the same amount of space. The other sign I did freehand,  You can tell which is which.

All the wood used was just what other people had considered firewood. 

Routers are designed with the hole for viewing although you may need to bend down to see good. Wear safety glasses, you don't need flying bits in your eye. Just set the bit at a shallow depth and follow the lines. You can move the router pretty slowly to be accurate. I try to keep a moderate speed so I don't get wobbly. Just pick the router straight up each time and put it down slowly to cut away to the proper depth before moving again.

I sanded the signs and just used plain black acrylic paint with a paint brush. If you do get some outside your grooves, it washes off with water when wet. After that dries, just put some exterior clear polyurethane on it and figure out it you need mounting holes, string holes or a stake depending on where you want to display it. I made some stake ones to mark my trail through the berry patch and one hanging from twine as a gift to my sister for her new last name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always happy to hear from my readers!