Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Wire wrapped rock jewelry

Wire wrapped rocks are easy and cheap to make and look like something you could find at a store. I wanted to make rock jewelry without having to solder or make molds and found a tutorial online for these same necklaces. I figured out how to do earrings too.

If you are like me, then when you see a rock that is prettier than the rest, you pick it up and put it in your pocket. I ended up with a lot of rose quartz this way.

I have a rock tumbler now, but when I started doing this I did not but still wanted shiny rocks.I pick out the rocks from my collection that are about a quarter to half dollar size that are pretty enough that I would wear them. For earrings, they need smaller rocks obviously.

I clean my rocks and use a paper towel to carry my rocks outside. With a spray can of clear gloss lacquer and a respirator on, I spray the rocks heavily and gently roll them around in the paper towel. This gives them an even coat without letting the rocks stick to the paper towel. Lacquer dries faster than other clears so you just need to roll them around a minute. Then I put them good side up and leave them for a while to let the lacquer smell air off.

At Michael's there is all sorts of jewelry making stuff. I got a set of little bins with all the jewelry making stuff  I need. It had dangling earring hooks, jump rings in two sizes, crimping beads, and lobster clasps.

Also at Michael's I bought some wire. I used just silver craft wire for the rock necklace shown but it is a little thin so I got some 16 gauge wire for the future ones. They have copper and brown wire too.

Now that you have a rock picked out-some pointy edges makes it easier to wrap, some wire, a jump ring,  needle nose pliers and a wire cutter handy, we can start.

Cut a length of wire about 8 inches long. Put it through a jump ring with two equal lengths on both sides. Now twist your wire a few times to set it.

Wrap the wires around the rock. This why you will be glad to have some jagged edges. You can wrap as few or many times as you like. Finish each side by wrapping it around the twist you made at the jump ring. Now twist the ends around and cut off the excess.  Use the needle nose pliers to tuck it the sharp ends.

Now use your needle nose pliers to grab the wire on one spot of each wrap around the rock. You have to tighten the wire.When you have the wire, twist either  up or down. This depends on the jag of the rock. If you pull one way it might slip off, and the other way will make it tight.This tightening will make a lightning pattern in the wire so you can choose to use this in the middle, at the side, or do it on the backside to not be seen. I have done two in each wire but sometimes the second pull will straighten out the first.

I know that last part was a little confusing but once you do it, it will make sense. I think this one is just embroidery floss for the string but most of mine are cord. I would like to try with leather string to get a real rustic look. There are several ways to connect the necklace, I used just adjustable knots so the necklace can fit anyone but you could use a lobster clasp and jump ring, or magnet clasps. It is up to your own preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always happy to hear from my readers!