Saturday, June 25, 2016

Wild strawberry jam

I have a patch of wild strawberry in my backyard. I have been anxiously watching the plants grow, get flowers and then tiny green berries. Then I started munching on the first red ones. Then I had enough to put in my cereal. Now it is peak season and I gathered two cups in a day. That is the perfect amount for one jar of jam.

First pick off the tops and any other twigs, etc that got in the strawberries. Now wash them.
Since wild strawberries are so tiny, there is no way to cut them, just throw in a pot while they are wet. Add sugar on top.

Turn the heat to low and let simmer until the strawberries get juicy.

Turn the heat to medium and stir until all the sugar is mixed in. Stir until the mixture in nice and bubbly.

Now stir again and leave alone, uncovered, for fifteen minutes.

Stir it when the time is up, it just be the right consistency now. Let it cool.

Add a little lemon juice to help it keep. Spoon into your jar and put the lid on. Refrigerate.

I didn't add enough extra sugar to account for the lemon juice added so mine came out not as sweet as I like my jam but you could omit the sugar and make straw-lemon jam. My boyfriend is a fan of lemons and straw-lemon jam but I eat more jam than him and I like it sweet.

The consistency of fresh home made jam is what appeals to me, over the store bought Jell-o consistency.

If you love to gather like me then you will love this quick easy recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Always happy to hear from my readers!